Fasteroids update: close to beta release!
The last couple of weeks I've made some small strides with Fasteroids. There were a number of bugs I needed to fix that got fixed and some small things I wanted to add that finally got added. There's a few more things I want to finish before unleashing Fasteroids on the world.
One problem I haven't fixed yet is the name... several other Asteroids-like games use the exact same name. Changing the name is a fairly trivial task, but I've been so wrapped up with work that I haven't given the name a lot of thought. Now that a release is a bit closer renaming Fasteroids is something higher up on my list of todo items.
Some things I fixed recently:
- The game doesn't switch from full screen to windowed mode if you get a high score - it was doing this because of Gamemaker's async dialog event. I fixed the issue by creating my own dialog for high score name input.
- The game doesn't ask for your name if you don't get a high score. This was happening at the end of the game regardless of whether the player's score was in the top 10.
- I've redone the dialog input a few times because the spacing was quite off. I'm still not satisfied with the dialog, but it's functional and somewhat goes with the theme.
I've also added some features:
- UFO's now shoot you and asteroids.
- If a UFO crashes into a large asteroid it splits into a smaller one (but the player doesn't get points) and the UFO is destroyed.
- The UFO can also shoot asteroids (the player like-wise doesn't get points) and the behaviour is the same.
- If the smallest asteroids are destroyed by the UFO or UFO bullet they simply disappear.
- There's now an audible cue when a UFO appears on screen.
Some things I'm still working on:
- The movement of the UFOs, they need to be a bit more random.
- UFO velocity, they might start slow, then speed up rapidly.
- UFO destruction sprite/effect, right now the UFO disappears.
- Sound effect for a UFO explosion.
- Number of asteroids per round. It increases as players progress, but what exists is limited to so many rounds.
- Warping - this was actually a feature in an early version that I took out.
The list is actually a lot longer than this, but I'm pretty happy with the state of Fasteroids, so a new release is imminent.