Openshot 2.4.1 for Windows (bug report)
Lately I've been creating videos on Windows. This has proven to be quite a challenge because almost all of the free editors I've been trying out seem to be very buggy. Here are some of the faults I've found with Openshot. Don't read this article wrong, I love Openshot. I find Openshot one of the easiest video editing programs, but it's been a bit of a pain in the ass on Windows.
First my editing rig details:
AMD A8-5600K CPU (4 cores @ 3.9GHz)
16GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1866MHz
120GB SSD (OS)
500GB (of 1TB WD Blue HDD) spinning rust drive
NVidia GeForce 650Ti with latest drivers
Openshot became unresponsive several times during editing a 28 minute video before finally crashing. Luckily I had the foresight to save the project, but when I reloaded the project all my titles were out of place on the timeline. This meant I had to sit through the 28 minutes of video again to set each title in the proper place. I could write down the time for each title, but this doesn't appear to work since Openshot seems to switch up the timeline itself. Editing 720 24p video, so we're not talking 4k. All the titles I've created are simple non-animated titles.
I removed several tracks and it took quite some time to remove each track. It wasn't a simple matter of selecting a few tracks and clicking delete, I had to right click on each track, and as I did the system became unresponsive - this isn't the kind of behaviour I get from most applications on Windows.
Again, this isn't a criticism of Openshot, but if you're going to edit on Windows using Openshot expect some problems. To be honest with 16GB of RAM I expected almost no problems, even though my CPU isn't a fancy i7 or Ryzen CPU, 16GB should be enough to load a 28 minute video and work with it.