One of the things Santa blessed me with this year was several Bluray movies. And while we have a Bluray drive attached to one of the televisions in the house it's not always the most convenient method of playing movies. Most of the Bluray discs came with the option to download a "digital copy," but copies are often laden with DRM. I like the ability to stream from our Kodi/XBMC box to any device so I ripped several of the discs only to find out that none of the rips had any audio. When I checked the MakeMKV settings it appeared audio was correctly inserted in the stream.
This article was prompted by a Twitter question I sent @philbaker1 about some SSDs he was testing. Phil was testing an mSATA and a SATA drive and one drive seemed to read more MB/sec than the other, so I asked which, to which Phil replied:
I'm not sure.:) Only diff between the two is the impossibly long serial numbers, which don't give a clue.
We run a number of servers at work that run open source software written largely in PHP. One of the software packages we purchased, another we hired a programmer 8 years ago to develop a custom solution based on, but quite different from, an existing php-based program. We've had a volunteer developer (and myself on the very rare occasion) maintaining our custom code over the past several years, but for the last year or so I've had this itch to redo the whole thing from scratch, separating it from the php-based program it was initially based on.