The other day I was reading some comments on a Youtube video about how bad Seagate hard drives are. The comments cited a study done in 2015 by cloud storage company Backblaze. Backblaze studied drives used in their storage environment over a period of 2 years. Their sample size was very large: 49,056 drives. In that study certain models of Seagate drives had an extraordinarily high rate of failure compared to other drives in the list.
Somehow I managed to squeeze a bit of development into this evening (thanks Maria for letting me work) and I came up with a simple menu. At the moment only the Play and Quit options work, the other items are placeholders until I can get a bit more time. I worked until 7pm this evening, so coming home to a cooked dinner then being able to spend an hour working on Fasteroids is a blessing.
I managed to test the Linux binary on a Xubuntu 16.04 system this afternoon. There was no issues other than the typical issue I have occasionally with USB headsets (1/8 inch plug headset worked).
I implemented a few more things this evening: after so many levels the smaller asteroids split up into even smaller asteroids, which are worth more points, but are harder to hit. At first I thought it might be boring for people to track down the tiny asteroids, and this is somewhat true if you just sit in one spot. What I found was that I used the thrusters to move around more in order to target the smaller asteroids. I think this offsets the boring part, it forces those who try to play it safe to actually move.
I spent some more time tonight working on Fasteroids, there's now a game pause function. It doesn't work quite as I'd like, I'm sure there's a better way to pause, but it works for now. I also reduced the amount of noise coming from the space ship when thrust (Up) is pushed. I think Game Maker is distorting sound effects, but it could be something I've done. The sound effects sound okay played solo. I may have to insert some kind of delay playing the thrust sound to get it working properly. Oddly shooting sounds just fine.
In a comment in my last Gamemaker post I hinted that I was making some progress with Gamemaker. Although there's a lot of things that irk me about the development platform (I'm not a developer so take this with a grain of salt) I'm starting to slowly find a bit of a groove. Sadly there is no Gamemaker platform for Linux, although Gamemaker can create a Linux binary of whatever game/project. I tend to do all my artwork and sound on Linux then switch to Windows to work in Gamemaker. Linux can mount my Windows 10 partition so transferring files is pretty easy.