A little more progress this morning on Fasteroids. One of the things I wasn't sure of was whether irandom(1) was evaluating properly. I discovered it was evaluating properly, what wasn't working was the UFO coming in from the right and moving to the left. I still haven't figured out why this isn't happening, but I figured out the evaluation by inserting a room_goto(room_howtoplay) to re-direct the right to left movement so that it just jumps to the game instructions room.
Yesterday I mentioned that over the past couple of days I've been working on reinstalling GameMaker Studio (both 1.4.x and 2.x) on my laptop. This evening I spent some time fixing some issues with the latest version of Fasteroids. Here's some of what I managed to do (after working a full day at CR):
The past two days I've been setting up my laptop so I can work on Fasteroids and other games. I originally bought GameMaker Studio 1.4 on a Humble Bundle. A couple of months ago I bought a license for GameMaker Studio 2.x. Version 1.x is being retired at the end of July 2018 (barely a month away). I was thinking of forgetting trying to develop Fasteroids on GMS 1.4 and just learning 2.x. The code I wrote on GMS 1.4 doesn't work in 2.x, enough has changed that I'd have to redo a lot of Fasteroids if I decide to move to 2.x.