Recently I've been going through old footage I shot on MiniDV several years ago. In the past I've used OpenShot to edit video, but I did quite a bit of looking at what people are currently using and Kdenlive seemed to get mentioned at lot more, so I decided to give it a shot. One annoyance immediately popped up was that all tool-tips were showing up as white text on a yellow background (unreadable).
A couple of days ago I decided that it was time I upgraded my main desktop from Linux Mint 17.3 to 18.x. Up to this point I've been hesitant to upgrade. I remember looking at the comments several months back and people recommended not upgrading at that time. I Googled the steps and followed the "mintupgrade upgrade" steps, but I did this right before heading to bed, and I did it on terminal session 1 rather than using a terminal window within Cinnamon.
This article was prompted by a Twitter question I sent @philbaker1 about some SSDs he was testing. Phil was testing an mSATA and a SATA drive and one drive seemed to read more MB/sec than the other, so I asked which, to which Phil replied:
I'm not sure.:) Only diff between the two is the impossibly long serial numbers, which don't give a clue.
We run a number of servers at work that run open source software written largely in PHP. One of the software packages we purchased, another we hired a programmer 8 years ago to develop a custom solution based on, but quite different from, an existing php-based program. We've had a volunteer developer (and myself on the very rare occasion) maintaining our custom code over the past several years, but for the last year or so I've had this itch to redo the whole thing from scratch, separating it from the php-based program it was initially based on.
I've been using XBMC, now KODI, for a few years now. Over those years I've tried ripping my optical media using a wide variety of programs, exported to many different formats (OGG, AVI, MP4, MKV), and used a few different naming conventions (with underscores, without underscores, appending DVD/Blueray to the name, with(out) date). The different naming conventions really stuck out last night while I was adding more video to our KODI server.