I had a bit of a breakthrough with an issue that I was having with one of the objects I was trying to implement. It's now working wonderfully and I figured out how I might make it a bit more interesting. For now I'm going to be a bit sparse on the details until the object is fully implemented as I'd like.
Somehow I managed to squeeze a bit of development into this evening (thanks Maria for letting me work) and I came up with a simple menu. At the moment only the Play and Quit options work, the other items are placeholders until I can get a bit more time. I worked until 7pm this evening, so coming home to a cooked dinner then being able to spend an hour working on Fasteroids is a blessing.
I managed to test the Linux binary on a Xubuntu 16.04 system this afternoon. There was no issues other than the typical issue I have occasionally with USB headsets (1/8 inch plug headset worked).
I implemented a few more things this evening: after so many levels the smaller asteroids split up into even smaller asteroids, which are worth more points, but are harder to hit. At first I thought it might be boring for people to track down the tiny asteroids, and this is somewhat true if you just sit in one spot. What I found was that I used the thrusters to move around more in order to target the smaller asteroids. I think this offsets the boring part, it forces those who try to play it safe to actually move.