This afternoon I was out scouring for some new movies for my already largish collection of 800+ DVDs. I didn't find much this afternoon, but ended up picking up the movie The Right Stuff. I haven't watched the movie yet, but it appears to be the events leading up to the launch of the Mercury rocket. I checked the DVD and noticed it had 2 sides, both of which were unblemished, but oddly both wide screen. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the movie is just over 3 hours long (explaining the two sides).
When I'm hunting for new movies and television shows to add to my DVD/Bluray collection I often look for shows that are a bit more difficult to find at big box stores. Sometimes these shows turn out to be difficult for KODI to scrape information for. This was the case with one television show I picked up called "The Irish R.M." Rather than title their show "The Irish Resident Magistrate," producers decided to simplify it as The Irish R.M. This is a problem for KODI since KODI scrapes television shows by folder name and folders cannot have a period in their name.
Our KODI entertainment system currently houses 3 hard drives with media spread across all 3 drives. Two issues have arisen from having media spread across three drives. First, it's hard to get a sense of all the media, despite the fact the media is organized into directories with names like Bluray_TV (for Bluray Television Shows we've bought). Second, it's a bit more difficult to back up. The second problem is solved by buying larger drives: 3 x 6TB drives are on my list. I've always had good luck with Seagate drives (I might be charmed). The first problem is solvable using ls, some switches, and piping that to sort and uniq.
Our current living room KODI server is getting a bit old. We currently have 8TB of storage between 2 x 3TB and a 2TB hard drive. Media is spread across the drives and is starting to get a bit disorganized. Part of the disorganization is because of the age of some of the data. Back when I first started ripping media for what was then called XBMC I used the command line interface program transcode to do a lot of work.